PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne And Max Payne 2.

The Niles
20-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Not stricktly speaking old but this is the only part of the site I could place it.

I purchased both this week and have finished them both now. Max Payne in three days, Max Payne 2 in a single day. Appart from being too short these games are great. Gripping story (especially 2), funny at times and both are "lookers". The only thing that turned my stomage was when Mona died in the end of part two and of course seeing that little hand stick out from under the blanked in the proluege of one.
Mona is now my all time favorite female game character. I do hope they cheat a little and bring her back in part 3 (part three has been confirmed). The best part of Max Payne 2 was when you finally got your hands on Mona in a level.
It surprised me how well part 2 runs on my computer. I would have expected it to be very choppy or not at all good to look at but fortunatly it was neither (and that is with a GF2MX400 32MB card).
Anyone else play these games?

Havell
20-11-2004, 11:23 AM
I have the demos of both and have played the full versions of both around friends' houses. I found part 1 much harder than part 2, I could breeze through part 2 and it was a hell of lot of fun. Part 1 I found really hard and I kept dieing on the first level (especially that bit where you have to go into that locked room and there are three enemies inside with shotguns...).

P.S. The colour tags in the title are broken.

Iron_Scarecrow
20-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I have played both. First I didn't finish, I couldn't stand running around killing hobo's got kind of boring. Second is one of the best games I have ever played, finished it twice. Second has some very nice guns too. I have to admit the first time you hear his voice it doesn't sound very pleasing but after a while you get used to it and I think it sounds cool now. Favourite charcter is the Evil Russian dude you kill at the end, can't remember his name.

Unknown Hero
20-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Nov 20 2004, 01:00 PM
It surprised me how well part 2 runs on my computer. I would have expected it to be very choppy or not at all good to look at but fortunatly it was neither (and that is with a GF2MX400 32MB card).
Anyone else play these games?
I have the same graphic card! :D

When played this game, I used bullet time on this way:
- bullet time on
- I aim (with MP5)
- first bullet goes to head of first guy, second bullet to the head of second guy, and third to third! :ok:
- bullet time off

I used to kill three of bad guys in one bullet time!

Also when you kill guy (there are few of them), and you can see in slow-motion how he's falling, save before killing him, and kill him in most different ways (the best thing is to drop the bomb under his a**).

The end of the game is similar in both games - you have to kill bad guy by shoting at some wires or something other then in bad guy directly.

Rogue
20-11-2004, 03:44 PM
I got first one on PS2 and it's nice, but kind of short. I heard that 2nd part is even shorter, but never bought it. :tomato:

wormpaul
20-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I had only played MP2..

But such a nice game...sniping with mona's gun is great :bleh:

The Niles
20-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Mona's gun is not all that is nice about Mona ;). She is so much more of a computer babe then Lara Croft ever was.

wormpaul
20-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Indeed...she has Chracter...and that's something what Lara really missed..

That was only 2 big boobies and a ailly face...Mona is someone where you look hours to...and still like it :whistle:

Not that i did that..dont get me wrong...but it's possible :cheers:

Unknown Hero
21-11-2004, 01:16 AM
After all, I still think old dos games (especially adventures) are way much better than any new game!

Iron_Scarecrow
21-11-2004, 07:25 AM
I think you're going a bit too far there. I mean old dos games are good but........

FreeFreddy
21-11-2004, 07:49 AM
There are also enough good new games among the usual current junk. Just think on Gothic 1 + 2 and Warcraft III, of those I played and know. ;)
But let's not get off topic too far. :sneaky:

Braindead
21-11-2004, 10:14 AM
I played the first one, but starting from the scene where there's 3 guys behind a table I had to enable the cheats to pass. I guess I'm not a good FPS-player :)

wormpaul
21-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Hmm..

Max Payne was a really easy FPS game...

Just make sure you always have enough bullet time :angel:

The Niles
21-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Max Payne is not a FPS. It's not FIRST after all. It's a Third Person Shooter (TPS). Max Payne was difficult at times but I never needed to use a cheat. Max Payne 2 was a breeze. Good story kept me interrested in both games and I will replay both on my new computer. Too bad the guns in MP are not as interresting as in MP2.

wormpaul
21-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I MP2 there was a great case where you need to defend that guy in the clown suit...that was maybe the most difficult part in the game (the bad guys came from all sides) but really a great action time there...

And maybe MP is a TPS but for me it felt like a FPS...the gameplay is most of the time the same as in a FPS...you never get really platform tricks what is normally in TPS games...

The Niles
21-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah that's true but Bullet time would not work as well if the optic would be First person. The Clown thing was a laugh and not as difficult for me as it was for you I guess. I only died twice. Maybe we use different tactics. For the most part I let the bad guys come to me and when the are turning the corner I am standing behind I jump out in bullet time as shoot them. I was nearly dead when I sped away from that level.
The most difficult part of the game for me was when I was Mona and I had to cover Max from the scafolding. Max died about fifteen times before I finished that level. I am a lone wolf I think. I work best when I don't have to think about others.

wormpaul
21-11-2004, 03:10 PM
LOL...that's also a difficult part but the trick is:

Focus on the men closest to Max, first those 3 guys and then later step by step the others who are coming for Max...dont go to fast looking for others..

But maybe it's time to play it again...still a great game :angel:

Iron_Scarecrow
22-11-2004, 08:40 AM
About that clown guy. It took me about half a day to do that level. From the start I didn't really care how much he got hit then I kept saving it. By the time I got near the end (just outside the garage), if he got hit once no matter how small the damage the game was over, I didn't feel like starting the level over again so I had to keep going, it was so hard.

Morrin
22-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Heh, Mona died and that's it. Story of Max Payne is ment to be dark and heavy, not like in hollywood movies. I really should support remedy by buying those games (I bought MP1 to xbox but I sold my xbox) since they are really good and made by few finnish guys who make games.

The Niles
22-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah Mona will likely not come back but that really hurts to admit it.

wormpaul
22-11-2004, 09:32 AM
YEs...MONA was really cool..

Hopefully they design another great character next to max

Morrin
22-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by wormpaul@Nov 22 2004, 10:32 AM
YEs...MONA was really cool..

Hopefully they design another great character next to max
..who dies. :D

Iron_Scarecrow
22-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Maybe Max could be the one who dies next. :angel:

wormpaul
22-11-2004, 09:51 AM
I love to see Max Dying..

DIdnt like his character that much...

Iron_Scarecrow
22-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I didn't like him much in the first. But I loved him in the second. But I'd like to see him die, its not common for the main hero to die, and these games are not common, they are different, so what could be a better ending.

Think about it, his whole life has slowly been ripped apart and no matter what he does he can't fix it and it eventualy gets so bad it takes his life. I should write a book. :ok:

Morrin
22-11-2004, 12:23 PM
If He dies, he should die in "Frank Miller's - Sin City" way, like electrocuted or any unfair and ugly ending.

Omuletzu
22-11-2004, 01:05 PM
I played both, and i must say that the second is way better than the first

@Unknown Hero, you are right, the best games are old games, although there are exceptions

Iron_Scarecrow
24-11-2004, 05:57 AM
I dont think electrocution would be good for him. But I like the totally unfair and ugly ending idea.

Morrin
24-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Braindead, about the difficulty. It's not that hard after all. You have to remember that Max Payne games aren't ordinary shooters where you can just run to your opponents and blast their brains to the ceilings. You can actually survive long times without bullet time by staying behind objects and crounching.

Damn! I feel like playing Max2 right now! :)

Iron_Scarecrow
24-11-2004, 07:28 AM
I feel exactly the same way.

wormpaul
24-11-2004, 08:34 AM
I just like to see that the new character in the game stands next to max...

And when there is the change...she just puts a bullet in his brains...

Would love to see that :sneaky:

Bankrupt
06-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Max payne is a simple game though it ain`t bad still just a little bit simple

Strobe
15-12-2004, 07:16 PM
i agree with most of your opinions!!

max payne is an outstanding production. i have played the first part, though, but
have not completed it yet. a few months ago i purchased the second part from a
friend but felt like saving this one until i finished the previous one...

although the story of mp1 is not that extraordinary it combines many different
story modules which are known from hollywood movies: a cop seeking for revenge,
a strange drug getting its grasp on people, mafia-like gangs...

as i said, nothing too special in particular, but the overall atmosphere is quite dark,
most of all the strange nightmares max is having, when he follows a bloody path to
nowhere, while cries of his dead baby are echoing all around....

i should motivate myself to complete mp1 so that i can check out if the sequel is
really easier to play than its predecessor...

The Niles
15-12-2004, 07:55 PM
It is much easier and much better but even shorter then the first one which is a shame.

wormpaul
16-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Indeed..

The game was really short...but still fun to play :ok:

Dave
16-02-2007, 10:01 PM
mhhh....I'm sorry for all of you guys (The Niles, wormpaul, Iron_Scarecrow, Morrin)...
I see you didn't finished the game with the highest difficulty level... <_<
There's a different end!!
Mona is... :whistling:

What about Max Payne3?