PDA

View Full Version : Daggerfall

evilded
19-11-2004, 05:13 AM
I just love this game...
HUGE world. HUGE item selection. HUGE freedom.

A classic in every sence of the word. too bad its not abandonware... (just a few more years and who knows... we might get it on here)

Timpsi
19-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Why isn't it abandonware? It's not available from anywhere - it's just got Bethesda asking the sites to take the downloads off, but Bethesda's not supporting or distributing the game in any way.

evilded
19-11-2004, 07:14 AM
good question! I demand to see it available for download immediatly if its not for sale! :Titan:

Boycott bethesda...

FreeFreddy
19-11-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm with you on that one, but there're still millions of other people that buy their games quite gladly. ;)

Rorture
20-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I'd find it hard to boycott bestheda, since the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls is looking EXTREMELY cool. Check it out on Gamespot, they have a little section on it. Then again, maybe they will distribute Daggerfall for free when the new one comes out.

evilded
22-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Like they're not making enough money, they can't let us have an oldie like daggerfall?

Shambler
22-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, it's their intellectual property, and they can do as they please with it. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing this game up here eventually.

evilded
23-11-2004, 05:26 AM
I've contacted Bethesda about the game and am waiting for a response.

If it's not for sale, what do they have to lose by letting us have it?

FreeFreddy
23-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Their cool image probably... :rolleyes:

Tom Henrik
23-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by evilded@Nov 23 2004, 06:26 AM
I've contacted Bethesda about the game and am waiting for a response.

If it's not for sale, what do they have to lose by letting us have it?
What exactly did you tell them?

Stroggy
23-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Daggerfall is a very nice game if you don't encounter any of the numerous bugs.
It is sadly not abandonware.

They just released Arena as freeware, so you'll have to wait a few years for Daggerfall I'm afraid.

Chef Boyardee
23-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I was so sad when I lost my copy of Daggerfall. I was looking for it a few days ago but couldn't find it. I actually almost got a job at Bethesda Softworks, I've been there a few times and it's only a few miles from my house. I might get one a little bit later. Anyway, yeah, I think Daggerfall should be free. I think it would also be REALLY cool if there was a Daggerfall editor like the one for Morrowind.

evilded
24-11-2004, 12:39 AM
What exactly did you tell them?

I said that if Daggerfall is still for sale, where i could go to find a copy, because chipsandbits is out of stock, adn if it is no longer in production, where i could go to find a copy. I'll buy this game if i can find it... but they should really release it as abandonware... its just not fair otherwise...

evilded
24-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Speaking of Arena, i cant get it to run smoothly in dosbox. is there another way to run it in xp?

Timpsi
24-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by evilded@Nov 24 2004, 01:39 AM
I said that if Daggerfall is still for sale, where i could go to find a copy, because chipsandbits is out of stock, adn if it is no longer in production, where i could go to find a copy. I'll buy this game if i can find it... but they should really release it as abandonware... its just not fair otherwise...
Mind you, companies never release their products as abandonware. It's freeware they might release them as, but as far as abandonware is concerned, the companies' opinion about it is never asked.

However, in this case the game is abandoned, but the company doesn't like others offering it for download and asks them to remove it.

evilded
25-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Well thats just mean... LOL

evilded
25-11-2004, 01:30 AM
From Pete Hines at Bethesda Software.
You may be able to buy a copy on eBay or find it on sites like www.ugtz.com.
It's no longer for sale and we have no plans to distribute it for free over
the Net or release the source code.

I hope that helps.

Actually Pete, it doesn't. LOL

hanging
25-11-2004, 11:01 AM
i can see a limited edition compliation appearing..

kinda like what 3d0 did with might and magic (with number 7 i think)

just a thought...

evilded
27-11-2004, 06:17 AM
They are apparently redoing it. Thats why they took it off HoTU a while ago. I guess if you can download the original, you're less likely to buy the redone version... cheap S-O-B's LOL

N17R0
29-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Oh man was this game GREAT! Still is! I still have the original cd, case, box it came in, the manual, the first dungeon guide, EVERYTHING. I still love to play the game, even if it runs a bit choppy with Dosbox.

evilded
02-12-2004, 11:20 PM
It is still a great game. I'm getting a copy from gametz.com.

N17R0
03-12-2004, 04:18 AM
LOL I just finished playing it for 5 hours straight today. That clocks into around 25-30 hours of play so far this week.

Stroggy
03-12-2004, 06:09 AM
amazing, and you haven't encountered any bugs?

evilded
03-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Everyone talks about teh bugs in daggerfall, but i remember playing it around 3-4 years ago and i never encountered anything buggish.

I think this is one of the biggest games ive played. I give it a 5

dishwasherlove
07-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Hahaha, I remember the bugs. Its all fun and games until you have been playing for a few hours and fall through the floor of a dungeon into nothingness :cry:

Yavor
07-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by evilded@Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM
From Pete Hines at Bethesda Software.
You may be able to buy a copy on eBay or find it on sites like www.ugtz.com.
It's no longer for sale and we have no plans to distribute it for free over
the Net or release the source code.

I hope that helps.

Actually Pete, it doesn't. LOL
I asked Pete Hines about the Terminator games Bethesda made and he told me something like your answer,Evilded.In my e-mail I asked him also will be there another Terminator game and the answer of this question was that they don`t have the license anymore.Some developers pay crazy money for this license and make games like T3:War of the machines..for example.Which is not very / :sick: stop myself to say crap/ good game.
Other Terminator games are good but why the hell they are not published for PC,but only for consoles....
Whatever....
The situation is that we have to search hard to find some great things sometimes..

evilded
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
War of the machins is terrible. The two player is REPETITIVE to say the least. But back to the topic...

A while back Daggerfall was up on HoTU, but Bethesda put an end to that... :cry:

N17R0
08-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Whenever it is finally allowed on here, I have the original cd to make an ISO off of. :)

evilded
10-12-2004, 03:31 AM
If they really are making a remake, I don't see it becoming AW any time soon. But we can hope, pray, and hassle them till they concede! :w00t:

BlackMageJawa
10-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, the possibility of corrupt files notwithstanding, I'll have it in (*checks*) a little over 12 minutes. But I can't tell you where from. So there.

(I love being evil)

Fawfulhasfury
10-12-2004, 11:19 PM
You and me both. A remake doesn't mean it won't be ABW, it just means there will be a remake. Whether it affects the ABWness of the game, only time will tell.

shoes23
11-12-2004, 05:35 AM
This game was absolutly mind-bending when I got it! The game world is sooooo big that often I found myself with 20-30 hours on a game and still hadn't accomplished anything to advance the plot. The unique ability to design almost every aspect of your character, from making your own spells and magic amulets to inventing a completly different class inspite of the large selection (12+ different classes to choose from). The game is perhaps the epitome of a what Role-Playing Games strive to accomplish. With the ability to roam to thousands of locations, manipulate hundreds of spells/items/weapons, this game delivers what only pencil and paper role-playing games have done exclusively in the past.

Stroggy
11-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Also nice is that the random quests aren't all that stupid either.
Yesterday I was walking through a big town (not a capitol) and I approach a trader.
He tells me he knows who I am and why there was a sudden storm and why the mudslide trapped me, but first I must go in a dungeon and do stuff for him.
When I return he tells me some witch has a grudge against me.

So even the random quests are often interlaced with the main quest and not just "fetch me X item by X day"
Also the 'guard the mageguild' is a nice quest. Sad really that a game with superior technology like Morrowind has pre-scripted set quests (not random) and usually those quests are of a lower category than those in Daggerfall...

dishwasherlove
11-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Have you seen the screenshots of The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion? Holy shomley!

I'm playing Morrowind now, hard to believe it was only a small island in Daggerfall :max:

shoes23
11-12-2004, 08:39 AM
there is just too much to do...reminds me a of medieval Grand Theft Auto...I can still remember running through towns killing everyone in sight, and then pleading innocent...the only difference is that years of game time actually passes in Daggerfall where as in GTA it only costs $100 to get bailed out of jail.

Stroggy
11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dishwasherlove@Dec 11 2004, 09:34 AM

I'm playing Morrowind now, hard to believe it was only a small island in Daggerfall :max:
You couldn't reach Vvardenfell island in Daggerfall.... only in Arena where you could visit a few cities, like:

Old Run (Ald Rhun)
and
Stoneforest (Balmora)

and a few others, too

N17R0
14-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Yea, definitely been wasting a lot of time with Morrowind as of late. Can't wait for Oblivion either. :D :D :D

Stroggy
14-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Oblivion looks spectacular, I hope they'll release a few new screenshots around newyear.

Strobe
15-12-2004, 09:22 PM
hm....daggerfall.
unfortunately, i've never played it. after reading your posts about it i'm beginning to
regret this...

i'm a big morrowind-fan. it has been mentioned, that the morrowind-world
was only a small part of the daggerfall-world.
could you please list some other differences between those two games so
that i can get a better impression of daggerfall?

i remember an old friend of mine has it somewhere on his attic. maybe i
can convince him to sell it to me, so that i can experience daggerfall myself....

Jenny
16-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rorture@Nov 20 2004, 03:05 PM
I'd find it hard to boycott bestheda, since the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls is looking EXTREMELY cool. Check it out on Gamespot, they have a little section on it. Then again, maybe they will distribute Daggerfall for free when the new one comes out.
TES IV looks very promising. Daggerfall was cool, but the bugs killed it for me.

Stroggy
16-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Strobe@Dec 15 2004, 10:22 PM

could you please list some other differences between those two games so
that i can get a better impression of daggerfall?

The differences are quite big.
All quests in morrowind were pre-scripted while the daggerfall quests were randomly generated... that isn't exactly a bad thing because some quests are quite entertaining and most generated quests are as good as the pre-scripted morrowind quests (which is good for daggerfall, but rather bad for morrowind)

The graphics in Morrowind are ofcoarse way better than those in daggerfall. Daggerfall has many many more cities and towns but they, too, are randomly generated (except for important locations in cities like palaces)
Unlike Arena (the first elderscrolls game) there is nothing outside the city walls.
Which is kind of strange I think, but its true.
Once outside a city its all just a huge plane with a texture and 'craters' in it.
Outside of dungeons these planes will have some vegetation on it.

So you can't walk from one city to another... You can buy a horse but you can only use it inside cities. As a lot of cities are huge this can come in quite handy.

Like quests and cities the dungeons, too, are generated. That is to say all dungeons that aren't related to the mainquest.
So far the dungeons are okay and are about as good as the dungeons in morrowind.
While generated they don't feel like just a maze (like in Arena) some dungeons do look like a crypt or an underground cavern while others are really strange (almost M.C. Escher like)

There are millions of NPC's but none of them have anything really interesting to say. You can ask them about rumours or work... or jsut ask them where the nearest temple is.

Now there is one point worth mentioning since its the cause of quite a few threads in the TES IV: oblivion forum... nudity.
Daggerfall contained some nudity, but never full body. For example, there is a temple devoted to the goddess Dibella. Inside her temple you'll find scantly clothed woemn revealing a some of her parts. And in some inns (mostly in the more exotic cities) you'll find nude women in your room (but still never all-revealing and you can't do anything with them)
Your own character did have nudity I believe... however for male characters this meant not wearing any underwear... just some doll like features (other words: nothing)
Now Morrowind was free from nudity, they gave all women a brown diaper (as its called in the forum) and brown bra.
Now quite a few people are pleading for the return of Daggerfall's slight nudity while others protest against it.

All in all Daggerfall is very different from Morrowind. Yes it is bigger, but due to the fact that almost all cities and towns look alike and there isn't really any countryside to explore this huge enviroment isn't that amazing.

I do think that Daggerfall has a slightly more interesting mainquest than Morrowind's (if youa re into political intrigue rather than religious prophesies)

Iron_Scarecrow
16-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Nudity is not needed. :not_ok:

Strobe
16-12-2004, 04:11 PM
ok, now i've got a pretty good picture of daggerfall in comparison to morrowind.
thanks, stroggy, for your detailed description!

i think the fact, daggerfall is lacking a "real" countryside would be a big minus to me
because i love morrowind's borderless experience of nature, cities and dungeons
merging together, so to speak.

but the scripted sub-quests sound like quite an interesting feature, though.

anyway, my friend can't find his daggerwind anymore...i asked him about selling it to
me. it's a pity for i was really interested in having a look myself...

but at least i can play morrowind which appears a bit more of my taste than daggerfall
does, to be honest.

evilded
17-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Daggerfall is the one game where I've often found myself more intrested in trivial things than in the real quest LOL .

If anyone can name a game that has greater replay value, please tell me...

Stroggy
17-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by evilded@Dec 17 2004, 08:26 AM

If anyone can name a game that has greater replay value, please tell me...
I don't know... but I'll bet you'll get a whole bunch of answers on the site of 'the sims' :ok:

evilded
17-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Bah, I think the sims is the lowest point in human activity. Why don't we all just hook up our bodies to a supercomuter and give up on physical life altogether? Let's all just live in a virtual world, with virtual sex and virtual food and virtual pets and virtual jobs?

I cannot STAND The Sims. And do not understand how anyone can...

But thats just me, and I could be wrong...

Stroggy
17-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by evilded@Dec 17 2004, 10:33 AM

But thats just me, and I could be wrong...
Oh... I don't know
How many people play the sims?

evilded
17-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Lots im sure. But I don't care...

We are way :ot: anyway LOL

Jenny
17-12-2004, 11:06 AM
The Sims is unique and a great game. It's very popular too if I'm not mistaken (especially the sims 2)

FreeFreddy
17-12-2004, 01:58 PM
And I didn't play Sims 1 and 2 and I think I won't play them too...
But let's stay on topic, people. ;)

evilded
17-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I asked if anyone could name a game with as much replay value as daggerfall, which to me, the sims does not have. If I wanted to go to work, I do not need a video game to do it in, LOL ...

I've heard that they are revamping Daggerfall. Anyone know if this is true?

Fawfulhasfury
17-12-2004, 11:38 PM
A redo of Daggerfall. Will have to check the net for this. After all, everything on the net is always true. LOL

Stroggy
18-12-2004, 09:01 AM
If this were true I would have heard it already since I frequent the elderscrolls forums (mostly for mods)

Tito
20-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Daggerfall is my favourite game, and the one in which I have spent a longer time. It is true it was a bit buggy (very buggy without patches), but, with frequent savegames that wasn't very important.

A pity it doesn't run properly under Win XP, as I still keep the original CD, box and manual, altogether with savegames. So if anyone wants to be a 26 level knigth with a ship, a house, about 100 millions in the bank, higher grade in many guilds and some interesting artifacts, just ask. :D

Lonely Vazdru
20-10-2005, 07:35 PM
The best game ever ! :Brain:

I play a level 22 Legend (that's my custom class) and i keep on playing even if i finished the main story a long time ago. Mainly to improve my mage guild rating so i can start the great soul-hunt. :sneaky:
I got a very nice house in downtown Daggerfall, on main street. It's the big blue house with two doors. Come and visit me sometimes, i've got a huge collection of daedric artifacts ! :w00t:

@ Tito : you should check the "Name that hero" thread, you could surely shed some light on the current "hero". :D

TaloN
20-10-2005, 07:59 PM
never liked daggerfall but loved morrowind

maybe im just odd

Blood-Pigggy
20-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Wow, that was a ressurection.
Daggerfall is good, but far too buggy.

Borodin
21-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by TaloN@Oct 20 2005, 07:59 PM
never liked daggerfall but loved morrowind

maybe im just odd
No; they're very different games, in many ways. I also prefer Morrowind, but I can understand why some people really enjoy Daggerfall. I'm looking forward to Oblivion, but unless the mods pour out like an undammed river after it appears, I'll probably keep Morrowind going.

Tito
21-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Damn! Someone named that "hero" before I could do it myself. :ranting: Anyway, if you like Daggerfall, or any game from the Elder Scroll series, you should try this page: The UESP: Daggerfall (http://www.uesp.net/dagger/espdag.shtml) It contains lots of interesting information, archieves and even competitions and records about those games.

BlackFurredBeast
23-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh Daggerfall... how sweet the memories of grave-robbery, of having myself locked in shops to rob them dry, my trusty wagon-and-horse... And not to forget the stupid random quests with square-miles-wide dungeons where the quest mob/item was nowhere to be found, the NPC's that never spawn, which in turn nukes your Guild rating. But otherwise, a brilliant game.

Jaydev
30-10-2005, 05:43 PM
:w00t: Hey! How about this... every member of our Abandonia community should e-mail Bethesda requesting to make Daggerfall free for all. In the past, some companies have been heard their fan-pleas so why can't Bethesda? Maybe we should try and who knows...'Truth is stranger than fiction'. So, plz guys n gals of our Abandonia family, plz plz plz send just one e-mail each to Bethesda and we get that classic RPG on our beloved site, isn't it? LET'S GO... :sniper: :sniper:

The Niles
30-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Please don't do this. Crashing their email server or spamming them will make it more likely that they will never release any game to us. If anyone does this it is not in our name and done against our express instructions.

Eirreann
22-06-2011, 05:22 PM
:w00t: Hey! How about this... every member of our Abandonia community should e-mail Bethesda requesting to make Daggerfall free for all. In the past, some companies have been heard their fan-pleas so why can't Bethesda? Maybe we should try and who knows...'Truth is stranger than fiction'. So, plz guys n gals of our Abandonia family, plz plz plz send just one e-mail each to Bethesda and we get that classic RPG on our beloved site, isn't it? LET'S GO... :sniper: :sniper:

Well guess what, mate, it's free for all now! (I know this was posted in 2005 but whatev)

catchaserguns
14-11-2013, 04:44 AM
We are all lucky to get any game as freeware. If they want to change its status we can only hope for it in our favor. Look at Betrayal of Krondor and how its status has changed over the years. We just have to hope and pray that it goes in our favor