PDA

View Full Version : Can't Use Download Managers; Why?

philliphowsky
17-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Why can't i use download manager on abandonia, i was persistant in downloadig till now but 80mb (x com apocalypse) is just too big to download with internrt explorer downloader. So i want to ask whitc download manager should i use and where to get it. I curently have DAP (download acceleator plus) and Flash get.

Thanks in advance

Caged
17-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Watch out for DAP, I've run into problems with its imbedded spyware

Kosta
17-11-2004, 07:34 PM
The only download managers that actually works for resuming files from abandonia is Mozilla Firefox's internal download manager and Opera. You should try that, besides both Opera and Firefox are great browsers, so no loss there ;)

philliphowsky
17-11-2004, 08:17 PM
* The only download manager that actually works for resuming files from abandonia is Mozilla Firefox's internal download manager. You should try that, besides Firefox is a great browser so no loss there

I already tried that but when my connection brakes or i have to restart or turn off my computer it won't continue downloading, it starts from beginning.

Omuletzu
18-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Kosta@Nov 17 2004, 10:34 PM
The only download managers that actually works for resuming files from abandonia is Opera.
What do you mean ? I can't resume, and i'm using latest of the opera versions :blink:

Caged
18-11-2004, 10:33 PM
sorry guys, I have to side with Omuletzu. I just started Utopia to download, paused it, restarted it and it worked. However, once i paused the download, killed my dial up connection, reconnected, then tried to continue, it said the file was done. But when opened, it contains too many errors to read. I think the problem was not errors in the file, but there being no file, LOL , I only downloaded 36k before closing. Firefox won't continue the downloads.

evilded
22-11-2004, 04:27 AM
As this is abandoneware, why do you need a download manager?
LOL
Most of the games on here are less than 5mb...

Unless your on dial-up.. hehe :bleh:

Eagle of Fire
22-11-2004, 04:42 AM
Agreed. I dowloaded the demo of Might and Magic Online the other day... 286megs in 6 minutes. :bleh:

evilded
22-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Ahh i love broadband :D

Some ppl think cables ebtter than dsl, but i recently changed to dsl and i get the same speeds, only more consistant now...

The Niles
22-11-2004, 09:28 AM
What kind of connection speeds do all you guys have. I have 1128Kb/s download but that does not allow me to download 286MB in 6 minutes. I downloaded the Doom3 Demo (490MB) in 90 minutes but that was not at full speed.

wendymaree
22-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Download crawl over here. Still have to use dialup - 56k. Out in the country our exchange is not even broadband ready. Broadband is only for city people like Iron_Scarecrow.

FreeFreddy
22-11-2004, 10:15 AM
I have TDSL with 1024 Kb/s, but my download speed is around 128 Kb/s max. Could be that it depends on the network card you're using. And I have no idea what these entire 1024 Kb's/s are good for, never got to feel where they worked at all... :rolleyes:

Puffin
22-11-2004, 10:44 AM
I've got ADSL 3000...
But on my laptop i use a wireless connections from my neighbours, although they don't know about it. And I don't know the speed of it...
But it's enough ;)

Eagle of Fire
22-11-2004, 12:36 PM
I've got cable here. The fastest I downloaded was with WinMX, all downloads totalizing around 60,000 bytes per second.

time needed largely depend on the server. But a good server get it done way faster than others.

Sure beats my old modem which never got faster than 32000 bauds...

Rogue
22-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Nov 22 2004, 06:15 AM
I have TDSL with 1024 Kb/s, but my download speed is around 128 Kb/s max. Could be that it depends on the network card you're using. And I have no idea what these entire 1024 Kb's/s are good for, never got to feel where they worked at all... :rolleyes:
Mixing KB and Kb?

Your speed is 128KB, which is 1024Kb (bite and byte ratio is 1:8)

I got 3.5Mb/256Kb (down/up) broadbend at home, which makes possible downloads up to 450KB/s, but there is not a lot of hosts that provides that kind of speed for downloads. (Microsoft does for some of the stuff) At work I got T1, which is down/up 1.5Mb.

FreeFreddy
22-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Ah, so that's the thing. I didn't undertand the difference between bits and bytes so far... *ashamed*
Heh, so it doesn't depend on the network card?

Rogue
22-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Any network card should be able to handle today's DSL/Cable. (10/100Mb or 1Gb are standards today)

philliphowsky
22-11-2004, 06:37 PM
You were verry helpful thanks alot. All you know to do is to brag. "You are still on dial up... i downloaded 460MB in 6min... bla bla bla" Some of us come from working class and don't have rich daddy who will buy and pay for wathever we want just to speak with us

Rogue
22-11-2004, 06:45 PM
That's why I started to work part time at the age of 14. ;)

Not sure if you can now days find any job as kid in Croatia, as I heard that even some older people are having problems. :blink:

Dialup (AOL or MSN) cost here about $24, while cheapest DSL is $27. Not all areas have DSL yet, and companies like AOL started to feel big decrease of customers, as everybody is moving towards dsl/broadband. That’s why AOL will close Nullsoft (WinAmp). :cry:

Oh, and I don't live with my dad for over 12 years already. :D

Eagle of Fire
22-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Some of us come from working clbehind and don't have rich daddy who will buy and pay for wathever we want just to speak with us

I'm 23 and I work my way out of life to get nice money that I use to pay what I own. Like my cable modem. Thank you very much.

Oh and I hate my father BTW. Nothing much going on between us and if he was to buy me something I would probably refuse it anyways.

Rogue
22-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't hate my father, but neader he is rich to provide me something. He loose everything we had in 92 (war), so we started from the zero that year.

Eagle of Fire,
you are not living with your parents?

Eagle of Fire
22-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Indeed, I am all alone. Living with my father was insane, he (and his new wife) are really stupid. They don't talk until they practically need to yell at you because of accumulated frustrations. No conversations... All what they talk about is "find a good job, stop playing computer games..." bla bla bla.

But they failed to realise that I played computer games mostly because of lack of familial atmosphere in the house. Thus had nothing to do, and played computer games because I liked it. And was better than doing nothing (especially since I prefer strategy games which is good to train the mind).

So I did what they said: I got a job and went away from that hell hole. Now I don't only survive; I can live too. :)

It's really a tiny place this appartement... But I'm alone and I like it. No GF yet but no hurries... Better try to get me a future by studying or getting a well placed job first then climb the ladder than to get a GF and try to climb the ladder afterward while trying to do hundreds of things at the same time...

Right now I am enjoying my freedom much. :D

Rogue
22-11-2004, 08:34 PM
:ok:

It's best to taste a life on your own. Only then you can appreciate all these small things that life brings.

I was on my own before the war (had a job, was about to finish my own place to live, and was only 19 at the time), but had to abandon all that and move first to Germany and then to USA. In both cases I lived alone (as I was actually counted as separate family).

My younger brother is now living in my parent’s first house, while my parents moved about year and half ago. He is 21 at the moment, and living alone changed him much. It is worth experience!

I’m glad you got your way tough! :ok: