PDA

View Full Version : Computer Died During Ecoquest

godspoet
07-01-2007, 02:37 AM
help!!! I was playing search for cetus with dosbox, I got all the way to the point I was helping the apartment residents. I was swimming up to the surface to help gregarious (sp?) the manatee and my computer died. some blue screen came up saying that something had happened and that I needed to restart my computer and then it said something like "deleting physical memory: 13" and the number kept climbing. so i hit restart and when it started back up i saw a flash of the same screen and my computer restarted itself, this happened over and over again!! what happened?? and how do i fix it?! :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos:

thatmexicanguy
08-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Whoa, that sounds really bad... I wouldn't have any idea on how to help, sorry. :(

The Fifth Horseman
08-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with DosBox.
When did you last make a virus check?

Reup
08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
It probably said "Dumping Physical Memory" followed by a counter. There's also a code at the top of the blue screen, something like: 0x000000013. Look that up to find out what's wrong. If you post it here, I might be able to help some more :)

godspoet
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reup @ Jan 8 2007, 06:30 AM) 273885</div>
It probably said "Dumping Physical Memory" followed by a counter. There's also a code at the top of the blue screen, something like: 0x000000013. Look that up to find out what's wrong. If you post it here, I might be able to help some more :)
[/b]

Well, It continually restarted...i couldnt get the code. but i tried to do a windows repair. I put my windows cd in the computer and walked out of the room after starting the cd. I left while it was setting up. when i came back my windows was up like nohting had happened. but i've been scared of playing the game again. I dont want it to do it again and not be able to fix it. i dont know how it go fixed last time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 8 2007, 04:56 AM) 273855</div>
Doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with DosBox.
When did you last make a virus check?
[/b]

i do a virus check at least three times a week. i had actually done one right before playing the game.

win98
08-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Have you done spyware check with an anti spyware program like ad-aware se or spybot?
Might be spyware or mabey you did not configure doxbox right. What dos box version are you running?

Lulu_Jane
09-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Ugh, the blue screen of death is never fun. The last time I saw that little beauty was when I accidently knocked a bottle of water all over my laptop.

I can't even conceive of dosbox crashing your computer in such a way. But I don't think you should be that worried about trying to play the game again, after all, you've got your Windows repair cd and it seemed to fix the problem the first time 'round, so you should be right if it happened again.

Also, you could try using VDMsound instead of dosbox, it might treat you better.

Good luck!

Don Andy
09-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Since I don't know what kind of error the bluescreen showed I can only guess, but when XP shows a bluescreen, it's most likely a hardware problem.

Taking a wild guess, I'd say that a certain part of your HD, where some important Windows-Files were stored, was damaged, which crippled Windows, but the CD somehow managed to repair that (although it's new to me, that Windows repairs itself by just popping in the CD).

And I'm 99% certain, that the failure had nothing to do with DOSBox and EcoQuest.