PDA

View Full Version : Vesa

Sebatianos
16-11-2004, 07:54 PM
I have The Riddle of Master Lu!
Don't know if your familiar with the game (the best adventure ever - in my opinion), I had the original CD for years now, but I can't make it work anymore.
On the old PC it worked fine (but I had a really weak graphic card - Trident some number).
The game used VESA and the graphic was great.
But now I cant get it to run on any of the new system (WinXP, WinME & Win2k) because the graphic card is different and I can't emulate the one I'd want.
The only progres was made with VDMSound when I tick emulate basic VESA - then it chrashes after the thirs subcommand on the install program (otherwise it chrashed after during the first step).
The problem seems to be the VESA driver, but I'm not sure really.
Anybody has a suggestion?

Rogue
16-11-2004, 08:16 PM
I got game somewhere, might give it a try....

FreeFreddy
16-11-2004, 09:05 PM
And what about DosBox?

The Niles
16-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Are you sure it is the VESA? On WinME I have no problem running games like WC3+4 that use VESA. Might just be the game using a wierd commandset.

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 06:36 AM
Could be you're right Picard. I only have the problem with this game (and with 11th Hour cut scenes). Other VESA games work normaly.
I'll give it a few more trys.
:tnx:

Eagle of Fire
17-11-2004, 08:01 AM
As long as my limited knowledge on the matter allows me to say, you should have a VESA driver loaded to be able to run games which need VESA. However, I think that you need a screen which is SVGA compatible to run VESA, VGA screens are not able to do it.

At least it never worked for me with my old 486, and it was a VGA screen...

Data
17-11-2004, 08:59 AM
game runs fine in dosbox as far as i know.

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Data@Nov 17 2004, 11:59 AM
game runs fine in dosbox as far as i know.
Can't even install it :not_ok:
DosBox says it's trying to free a memory block that is already free,

VDMS - after I select the VESA compatibility goes two steps further and then says it's not VESA compatible.

I guess my only chance is to return to an older computer!

Data
17-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Unfortunate i don't have the game. Did you try running it with an older version of dosbox ?
say 0.61 instead of 0.62. The compatibility report of dosbox is with the version 0.61

You have to mount your cdroms with -ioctl as well.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.ph...D=1738&letter=T (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=1738&letter=T)

Rogue
17-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I found game last night (while looking for Explorer pack) and will try to install it soon (got to do something for UNI first). As far as I remember, game worked fine on my old Win98 comp.

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Data@Nov 17 2004, 05:00 PM
Unfortunate i don't have the game. Did you try running it with an older version of dosbox ?
say 0.61 instead of 0.62. The compatibility report of dosbox is with the version 0.61

You have to mount your cdroms with -ioctl as well.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.ph...D=1738&letter=T (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=1738&letter=T)
Don't know...
This is what it says!
The game may be supported, but I have the original CD and not a cracked version of the thing (maybe the game itself would work???) - so I can't even install.
Bummer.

Rogue
17-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Sebatianos, try D-Fend, and see if you can play with settings (memory, and other ones).

That's what I do if I got problem with the game.

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Well that's what it says in DosBox, when I try messing with the settings, nothing helps.
VDMS get's further up - if I tick VESA compatibility it says this!

Data
17-11-2004, 02:41 PM
i presume you forgot to mount a c:\ as well ?
where do you want to install to if you only have a cdrom drive ?

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Data@Nov 17 2004, 05:41 PM
i presume you forgot to mount a c:\ as well ?
where do you want to install to if you only have a cdrom drive ?
Trust me, I mounted both (C: and D:). I'm not completely illiterate in Dos and I wouldn't have made such a mistake.
Besides, it says this the moment type install - doesn't even start running the install program (which does need some SVGA tipe graphics).

I could try and send the game to you somehow...

Data
17-11-2004, 02:49 PM
yes you could try that.
else type the commands you typed in dosbox here. Maybe i can figure out what's wrong.

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 03:06 PM
OK,
I start the DosBox
z:\mount c: d:\ (d: is my default HD)
z:\mount d: e:\ (e: is my default CD-drive)
z:\d:
d:\install

and then that screen apeares!
tryed with other drive letters just in case, but no luck!

Data
17-11-2004, 03:17 PM
change it to this
mount c d:\
mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
install

or
mount c d:\
mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
d:
install

Rogue
17-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Sebatianos,
Why don't you add this commands in config file in DOSBox, if you are not using D-Fend?? :blink:

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 03:44 PM
OK, thanks, installed it succesfully, guess it was my bad afterall!
Never should have doubted an expert like your self!!!
Thanks a lot!
*and off I go"