PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Find Abandonia?

Unknown Hero
16-11-2004, 12:28 AM
I was wondering how did you all guys come to abandonia? Did someone tell you about the site or what?

My stories:
- Short: I was searching for old dos games, and since my firewall was blocking pictures and downloads from HOTU, I decided to take a little search.....and I discovered abandonia!
- Long: All I said above and....I didn't mean to spend too much time here, but while I was going to download Simcity 2000 from the site, I saw a screenshot that says: "Zagreb founded", so I went to take a look at crew's page, and found out that the owner of the site was a guy from Croatia, Kosta!

That's my story!

Rogue
16-11-2004, 12:39 AM
It was nice and warm day… :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

For the couple of years already every once in the while I go trough abandon rings searching for nice sites to leach from. :tomato:

There were couple of sites in my favorites already, and Abandonia got there after I found Settler II gold on it.(before that I used special paths to downgrade my TOT to Civ 2 Gold).

I did avoid forum for some reasons, but as you can see, I'm here now. :bye:

Unknown Hero
16-11-2004, 12:53 AM
It was a sunny day, the rain was falling...

auhsor
16-11-2004, 12:56 AM
There was a time in my life where I was really into collecting abandonware games. I spent alot of times ata other sites. Some were good, some wern't. Well at some time someone on the AGS boards posted a link to this site. I saw huge potential in it and promptly signed up to the forums. So here I am, over a year later from finding this site. It's good to be here.

Kon-Tiki
16-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Friend of mine wanted me to play UFO 1, as he found it the best game ever, and pointed me to this site to download it. Saw lots of games here that I couldn't download anywhere else, and stayed, Titus The Fox and Xenon 2 (Titus the Fox the first game I've ever played on a comp and Xenon 2 one of the first) presuaded me to that, and to help out, as I couldn't find those two anywhere else (or that they even know Titus The Fox)

mouse31e
16-11-2004, 01:35 AM
I used to use HOTU a lot but got loads of spyware and adware that used to drive me mad and believe me it was loads, despite my pop-up blockers, firewall and spyware blocking software! :angry:

Then I discovered that abandonia is the only site on the net (as far as I am aware) with Heroes of Might and Magic for download. So I came to get it and it was so much easier and safer (not to mention that the games are better!)that HOTU that I never really left! :D

Squalidangel
16-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I was doing a search for dos games and it came up in the list...

Eagle of Fire
16-11-2004, 03:36 AM
I found this site on a ABW search ring and I immediatly noticed the quality of the site. Why switch when you already found the best? :ok:

Iron_Scarecrow
16-11-2004, 04:40 AM
I googled for gobliiins and ended up here. During the next two weeks I kept coming back then finally joined the forums.

Puffin
16-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Well, Kiddiarni and I have been friends for ages. We were at my house, talking to people on msn, when I decided to add Tom Henrik to my msn, and start messing with his head. And he told me about Abandonia. :Tom:

FreeFreddy
16-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Well, in my story Tom is also involved. I searched for an almost impossible to find game named War Wizard from Microgenesis. I searched on the net with google first, then decided to ask on some first-found abandonware sites where I didn't get any or very little help not worth mentioning.
Then, by searchring further, I put a step on Abandonia. Was around May this year, I think. It looked little different then than now, and I liked it already. Asking in the forum, Tom (if I remember correctly) was the first and the one that took over the search almost immediately. And he managed to get the makers of the game to put up a site where they intended to put up the full version of the game. Didn't happen still even now, but at least it was the best that could be found. And Tom managed it. He carried the title of the Internet Master Seeker then. I bet he still is able to find something that many couldn't.
Therefore I stayed here. I wasn't one of the very first members here, but for now you can say I'm one of the older, classic ones. Then Kiddiarni came, after him Puffin... And so on.

wormpaul
16-11-2004, 08:38 AM
The Story of Wormpaul

I was looking for old games and founded:

XTC Abandonware (http://www.xtcabandonware.com/)

So all the credits goes to this great site...i was already on that site for a few weeks and at that moment the owner (a dutch guy and neighbour from Maikel) decided to put an abandonia ring on the news site..

I took a look at it and Abandonia was standing on the top of it...and that's how i got here...and the rest was all :angel: :angel:

Morrin
16-11-2004, 10:13 AM
I found this site by google and noticed the nice outlook and light weight of the page. After a while I decided to join in.

Sebatianos
16-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Like most of you I was looking for some old games and found abandonia, but I never took a look at the forum (never had the time). I know it sems weird, but I only got the internet about a month ago (before I could only use it in at the Uni or like now at work), so I rarely looked at a forum :not_ok: .
Then I was finally on-line :ok: , and wondered :eeeeeh: what's this forum like (been a member of few before, but not a regular one). I felt silly comming here and start requesting, so I introduced myself - and was greeted wery warmly! That incouraged me to ask for a game Nomad aka Project Nomad (didn't know the title), and I believe it was :Tom: who answered right away!
So I felt like contributing :angel: (not to be just a leach asking for :help: and downloading), so I got active :boxing: (just look at my posts per day quota :yawn: ) - but that's just beginer's enthusiasm for now I guess. :whistle:
Still wanna share a lot,... :D

wormpaul
16-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Indeed...still a lot post this day's....but so far so good... :ok:

Sebatianos
16-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by wormpaul@Nov 16 2004, 04:46 PM
Indeed...still a lot post this day's....but so far so good... :ok:
I'm not really sure about that daily count.
Doesn't make sence!
I remember I looked at about 10pm last night - it said 22posts, nex time I checked it was 0:40 AM - it said 26posts, now it's higher - but in between 0:40 and now I only made 1 post - in the luch brake (so I think the counter is off - it doesn't reset at the end of the day)!

Yamcha
16-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Hmm interesting topic..Actualy I wanted to make it but you got first :angry: LOL

So here is my story...Long time ago in a distant kingdom(oops that is another story :D )Anyway I had a plastic piece of ... for PC and I could play only old games.Anyway I just bought Civ2 but then I found Civ fanatics and thier patch to make you version of Civ2 to Gold.BUT this wasn't working :not_ok: :hammer: :hammer: so i continued my search and I came up to abandonia.I found this site very good and i added to my abandonware site list(this is all hapening Haloween 2003 yes is 2003)Then I came again in april 2004 and found that the site had a new look.And finaly in october I just view the VIP section and decided to help this site and then I found that all the guys at the forums are great.So here is my story

Btw War Wizard isn't available on the net full version

Omuletzu
16-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Try this
war wizard (http://www.playerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1098671029)

FreeFreddy
16-11-2004, 03:26 PM
It's just some item sold for some game... :whistle:

Havell
16-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I spent ages lokking for UFO 1 (because I heard it was one of the best games ever) and all I found were pay sites and broken links, after I got broadband I could spend more time searching and on the 4th or 5th page (before I'd always given up before then) I found Abandonia!
I went around downloading and playing the games when one day I was bored and so I decided to check out the forum, the rest is history! ( :angel: )
The thing that struck me about this site was that the people who run it seemed like real people and not the faceless monsters you visualise running other sites (*cough*Underdogs*cough*) so I decided to stick around!

Stroggy
16-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Don't remember.
I somehow ended up here and decided to register to the forums the same day i found the site (probably because i left thelast forum i was in... and this forum was small and quaint at the time)

Caged
16-11-2004, 05:50 PM
well, it happened only because i was searching for a free version of transport tycoon. I camre, i saw, I liked, i joined. End of story

Titan
17-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Hmmmz... mi tink Kosta (?hhh grejt mastah) nows dis bettr den mi.

:tease: :drunk: OMG

Kosta
17-11-2004, 02:30 AM
I just remember you were the first person that joined the forum uninvited. You were also the only person that posted for weeks :D It was a kind of a chatroom... but how you came to this site, well, that was so long ago I already forgot :P

Tom Henrik
17-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Yeah.... you should have told me. I am a walking chronicle :tease:

Danny252
17-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Well, for some reason the code images for HOTU didn't work and the games didn't run, so I went searching for a decent abandonware site.. Then in September 2003 I came to this site... Back then we had weekly updates and used the guestbook as a forum :P Then we got the forum, and we were all happy, all 6 or 7 of us, and along came Tom... Then we started Daily updates :P Then Freddy came, and I knew Kiddi from an online RPG (I think its Kiddi anyway... TRE3?) and invited him here... then came Puffin... and then we got all 666+ of us eventually... and we had the VIP section :P

Danny252
17-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Oh and who remembers that Turkish abandonia-copy site? It was exactly like abandonia but in Turkish :P

Tom Henrik
17-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Not to mention the old Abandonia (http://members.fortunecity.com/abandonia/) waaaaaaay back in 1999 :ok:

FreeFreddy
17-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Wow, is that site still used or something? :huh:
Who owns it? Is there something being done about it altogether now? :unsure:

wormpaul
17-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Love the old site..

Only this one is better :angel:

Stroggy
17-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Nov 17 2004, 09:23 AM
Not to mention the old Abandonia (http://members.fortunecity.com/abandonia/) waaaaaaay back in 1999* :ok:
Don't act as if you knew it.
I've been here longer than you (by about 2 months) and I barely know it.

Come to think of it, who here did frequent the old site? (except for you Kosta :bleh: )

wormpaul
17-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Was stroggy here before the Uber smurf??

Tom Henrik
17-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Most people where here before me. I am one of the newest members. Hi all :bye:
(I am only a couple of months old).

Kent Paynter
17-11-2004, 03:51 PM
I just accidentally stumbled across this wonderful site while searching old games :kosta:

Stroggy
17-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by wormpaul@Nov 17 2004, 02:35 PM
Was stroggy here before the Uber smurf??
Indeed I was.
I am one of the oldest still active members (this doesn't mean that I'm that an old member, however)

its as I said: I saw great potential in this site and decided to join it early on, the forums weren't very active (about 3 new posts a day or so) but I was sure as hell that it would grow.

Guess I was right.

wormpaul
18-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Indeed Stroggy...

It's very active now :ok:

But who where more active in the begin days??? (except from kosta )

Tom Henrik
18-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Kosta has never been very active (on the forum).

He is most active with the actual site.

LICIUZ
18-11-2004, 09:32 AM
hi... newbie here. just came across your forums while surfing for some classic game sites. i'm a fanatic. :w00t:

wormpaul
18-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Nov 18 2004, 10:04 AM
Kosta has never been very active (on the forum).

He is most active with the actual site.
I ment not the active members...i ment the oldest one :ok:

Tom Henrik
18-11-2004, 11:16 AM
What I find amuzing is that Kosta is Number 2 :D

wormpaul
18-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Found it:

First memebers: 8-10-03

Kosta
Muaddib (never seen anymore...)
Titan

That were the 3 first one :ok:

Omuletzu
18-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Isn't muadib the admin of another site in the branch?

Tom Henrik
18-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Muaddib shows up some times :D

Yamcha
18-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Who is member №1 :blink: ???

Stroggy
18-11-2004, 03:18 PM
I vagualy seem to remember Mauddib... he's probably off riding sandworms or something

FreeFreddy
18-11-2004, 04:16 PM
That would be Paul Atreides from Dune 2. ;)

Data
18-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Nov 18 2004, 06:16 PM
That would be Paul Atreides from Dune 2. ;)
is there a difference ?

FreeFreddy
18-11-2004, 05:46 PM
He became Muaddib only little later when he joined the Fremen. ;)

Data
18-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Nov 18 2004, 07:46 PM
He became Muaddib only little later when he joined the Fremen. ;)
he became maudib when he rode the worm.... so hence my question...

wendymaree
19-11-2004, 06:10 AM
How did I find Abandonia?

Followed the first star on the right then straight on til morning.

Ok, that's a lie.

Found HOTU first and it was like being in a huge, draughty hall. Then I opened the door to Abandonia, and there was a warm, crackling fireplace where people sat around talking, toasting marshmellows and playing games - and smiling at the newbies who stumbled in the door.

Iron_Scarecrow
19-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah I think I saw Mauddib on another forum somewhere, can't remember which, but I'm sure it had to do with abandonware. And I'm pretty sure he used the same avatar.

And I also wondered why Kosta was member number 2. But I never bothered asking.

Tom Henrik
19-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by wendymaree@Nov 19 2004, 07:10 AM
How did I find Abandonia?

Followed the first star on the right then straight on til morning.

Ok, that's a lie.

Found HOTU first and it was like being in a huge, draughty hall. Then I opened the door to Abandonia, and there was a warm, crackling fireplace where people sat around talking, toasting marshmellows and playing games - and smiling at the newbies who stumbled in the door.
:blink:

Heeeeeey....
How come I wasn't told about these Marshmellows-parties? :cry:

The_EgAt
19-11-2004, 01:51 PM
It was a cold wintery night in October 2003 that I was downloading abandonware games and stumbled upon a webring called Echoring. When I went to site listing, I saw Abandonia there and clicked the link (They had the highest rating, btw). I instantly fell in love. This site was with good reviews AND good games. Although I didn't join the forum until August 2004, I've been a regular visitor since October 2003 (Thank you Echoring!)

:kosta: Echoring :kosta: Abandonia :kosta: