PDA

View Full Version : Star Control 2 Graphics Issue

BloodyMary2006
23-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Star Control 2 stars up with no graphics in any mode.

The machine did use Windows 2000, but the system files were corrupted. A friend of ours converted it to a DOS computer, and it works fine. The only isue is the graphics for StarCon2. Other games run just fine on the system. I am curious whether there was a driver or something that could be installed that would make it work. I have tried all the fixes contained in the readme file, and there is no difference.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bloody Mary

Data
23-10-2006, 06:30 PM
you have to use DOSBox to run it.

The Fifth Horseman
24-10-2006, 11:52 AM
She said she was using a true DOS system, mind you.

It is possible that Star Control is simply not compatibile with the graphics card your machine is using.

Is the sound configured correctly? Sometimes wrong configuration of it can cause crashes.

Novus
24-10-2006, 01:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bloody Mary @ Oct 23 2006, 05:06 PM) 263112</div>
Star Control 2 stars up with no graphics in any mode.

The only isue is the graphics for StarCon2. Other games run just fine on the system. I am curious whether there was a driver or something that could be installed that would make it work. I have tried all the fixes contained in the readme file, and there is no difference.
[/b]
Have you tried using the /G:BIOS parameter for STARCON2.EXE and MELEE.EXE? That fixes the usual palette problems.

I've heard that some cracks interfere with passing parameters to SC2; specifically ones that add STARCON2.COM and MELEE.COM files. In that case, remove the crack.

BloodyMary2006
24-10-2006, 01:32 PM
The Fifth Horseman: "It is possible that Star Control is simply not compatibile with the graphics card your machine is using. Is the sound configured correctly? Sometimes wrong configuration of it can cause crashes."

I found that if I don't run the game with the /s:silent command, it wil freeze at the new game/load game screen. I think that has to do with the fact that I don't have soundblaster or any of the other compatable sound programs. I don't think the internal speaker is configured correctly.

Novus: "Have you tried using the /G:BIOS parameter for STARCON2.EXE and MELEE.EXE? That fixes the usual palette problems. I've heard that some cracks interfere with passing parameters to SC2; specifically ones that add STARCON2.COM and MELEE.COM files. In that case, remove the crack."

Yes, I tried the /g:bios command, but it didn't affect the problem. I don't think I have any cracks installed for the game - I don't think they would be included in the base download from this site, and I never use them.

Well, I suppose if it is the graphics card then I just can't use it on that system. Unfortunately I can't replace the graphics card, but I'll keep it on there just in case it is something else. Thanks for the help. I will keep checking back to see if there are more suggestions.

Thanks much,
Bloody Mary

The Fifth Horseman
24-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Try using Abandonia Bootdisk. It contains a Sound Blaster emulation program, IIRC, so might help you run the game. Try it.