PDA

View Full Version : Can't Configure Fury Of The Furies?

Lili Hardin
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Hello! I wanted to play Fury of the Furies, but I can't get past the Intro (with the greek temple with "kallisto" below), because the image is too slow and it ended freezing before the end of the intro. I tried to configure the game with DOSbox, but when I write "install", DOS says "illegal command"... What should I do? I can't configure lots of game I found here...

Mighty Midget
09-08-2006, 11:37 AM
are you sure there is an exe or bat file named install in the directory? Sorry, but I don't have the game myself.

Lili Hardin
09-08-2006, 11:42 AM
No "install" file, but perhaps it's just a problem of compatibility that slowers the game (I have a WinXP...)

Mighty Midget
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
when you type "install", just like that, it looks for either an exe file or a bat file named "install". Since it's not there, the machine assumes it is a command. Try looking for "Setup" or something similar. Type "dir .exe" and "dir .bat". That will list all exe and bat files in the directory.

Lili Hardin
09-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok, I've done it and DOS found some files, but what should I do with it? The .exe files are: "fury", "intro" and "lang", the . bat is "go".

The Fifth Horseman
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Try another: "dir *.Com".
The COM files are yet another type of executable, quite common in the DOS age.

Lili Hardin
09-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I have no files with ".com", but with ".IFF", "LBM", "KMD"; but what have I to do with all those files? Isn't it just a problem in the configuration of the game?

Data
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Use an older version of DOSBox. 0.63 seems to work fine

Lili Hardin
10-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Ah ok thanks but what type of DOSbox 63 should I download? There are 5 versions on the site and I don't know which one is for me (I have a WIN XP)...

Data
10-08-2006, 04:26 PM
the win32 version

Lili Hardin
10-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Hum, I don't see a Win 32 version .63... Sorry I'm not very ...Hum... skilled with programs... wich version exactly do I have to download? The FreeBSD package, the Fedora Core 2 &3, the BeOS, the OS/2, or the
Old dosbox versions? If you talk about the dosbox.65 (first on your download page) I already installed it for other games and it worked, but not for Fury of the Furies...

The Fifth Horseman
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
The FreeBSD package, the Fedora Core 2 &3, the BeOS, the OS/2, or the Old dosbox versions?[/b]
Go to "Old DosBox Versions". That will show you a location with previous DosBox builds. Other names there are simply versions of DosBox 0.65 for other operating systems.

Once there, download v0.63 Win32 version.

Lili Hardin
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Ok, so it worked with Dos.63, but when I passed the copyprotection, the screen returns to the Dos box command prompt as if I didn't start the game! Please help!

_r.u.s.s.
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
and which excutalbe did you run? you should use go.bat

Lili Hardin
12-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I tried "go", "fury"... but it's always the same, I end having the command prompt... but how do I know my "Go" file is a .bat? When I go in the proprieties of the file, it says it's a "fichier de commande MS-DOS" (should be command file in english) and there is a compatibility mod: for Win 95, 98, NT 4 or 2000... Do I have to configure the mod?

Mighty Midget
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I think I remember that bat files could be used for configuration. Open (don't run) your bat file, in notepad or something. Maybe if there are some sound issues (sounds strange, but often sound issues are causing a lot of weird trouble), you (or someone here) can compare the bat setup (if any) and the dosbox/xp configuration.

Btw: In dosbox, within the directory, type "dir". You'll see the extensions of every file. There you'll see if Go is a bat. There should be other ways in xp, but I don't use that.

Lili Hardin
12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I opened the "go" file with my notepad and here is what I get:
"@echo off
intro
lang
fury.exe
if not errorlevel 1 goto fin
mode cO80
echo Not enough memory...
:fin"
But I don't know what it means! And I don't know what it means to "compare the bat setup (if any) and the dosbox/xp configuration"... Is it sure this game is compatible with Win Xp or am I the only one to have problems like this?

Mighty Midget
12-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I didn't spot any sound related stuff here.

(Digression) Anyway, a bat (batch) file is nothing more than a set of dos commands executed in order, and the batch is not terminated until (hopefully) all commands have been executed. For instance the lines "intro", "lang" and "fury" are dos commands, and this bat file tells the machine to run those exe files in that order.

Sorry, but I have no idea how to solve this. Maybe someone else has. Good luck :)

_r.u.s.s.
12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
um, doesnt it give any error message when ti goes back to command line? make a screen or something

Lili Hardin
13-08-2006, 03:27 PM
No there is no message error! When I type the code of copyprotection, the screen turns black just 1 second, returns with the image of copyprot (the fury on the throne) and returns immediately to the command prompt... I think it's a problem with the go file, but what's the problem? Is there a solution to go to the language screen or the game whithout passing through the intro and the copyprot?

_r.u.s.s.
13-08-2006, 04:56 PM
well, you can go straight to game by running "fury.exe"

Lili Hardin
13-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah I know, but it doesn't work... I type cd /name of Fury file/, Fury, it looks like this " C:\> FURY " but the Dos command reloads and returns to the beginning ( just C:\> ) and no error message... So, anyone guess what's the prob?

Mighty Midget
13-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Wild shot: Does the game requires a not-more-than-maximum screen resolution that is smaller than the dosbox resolution? Maybe you'll need to dig up some info for this one...

Lili Hardin
13-08-2006, 05:59 PM
And where can I know this? Or where can I reduce the screen resolution (if it's possible)? As you see, I don't understand a thing about programming & Coe, so it's a little hard to see what you mean...

Mighty Midget
13-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Thing is: Dos games usually were meant for 640xsomething in screen resolution, while modern hardware allows for much greater resolution. There could be a conflict of some sort here. Look at the configuration of dos-box and see if it's greater than 640xsomething.

Lili Hardin
13-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Here is what I get in DOS config:
"[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768"
Any idea?

Mighty Midget
13-08-2006, 06:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lili Hardin @ Aug 13 2006, 08:45 PM) 248393</div>
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.

fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768"
Any idea?
[/b]

I'm not sure, but it seems that dosbox has a 1024x768 resolution, and if the game won't allow more than 640x480, that could mean trouble.

Don't edit those lines until someone can give you the "green light" on this.

The Fifth Horseman
16-08-2006, 02:39 PM
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=640x480

That should help
If not, try

fullresolution=640x400

or

fullresolution=320x240

or, finally

fullresolution=320x200

Lili Hardin
17-08-2006, 09:59 AM
It didn't work... T.T But on the second DOS screen (don't know if it's normal, but I have 2 different screens...) I had a message error: "Warning : file creation failed : c:\dos\cdrive\fof\dat\gamedat.bin"
Any ideas? There must be a problem with that gamedat.bin... corrupted or something maybe?

Data
17-08-2006, 10:13 AM
did you extract all subfolers ?
and check if the files + folder are read only somehow (they shouldn't be)

Lili Hardin
17-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Heu, I'm not sure I understand all, but I dezipped the game (I think all files, including the subfolders, have been extracted when I've done it no?), and what do you mean by folders and files only read somehow?

The Fifth Horseman
17-08-2006, 02:24 PM
If a file has Read Only attribute set, it cannot be written to.
That may cause problems with your game.

Right-click on the game directory, [PROPERTIES], and deselect Read Only. There will be something about "applying to all files and subdirectories", confirm that.
This will remove Read Only attribute from all files and subdirectories in the game directory.

See if that changes anything.

Lili Hardin
17-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Humf, I don't undertand... The game directory is on "read only", but when I try to deselect, and type "apply" and "confirm", it's on "read only" again... What's the prob...

EDIT: All my files are not on "read only", but the folder in which they are IS on"read only" mode... I don't understans a thing... Is there a way that I send my folder to someone who could check if it works for him?

The Fifth Horseman
21-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Create a new folder, move all the files to it and delete the old one.

Lili Hardin
23-08-2006, 03:01 PM
It didn't change anything... :wallbash: I still can't make the "go" file work...
Anyway, all of the folders I have on my hard disk are on "read only", even other games I had from Abandonia and they work... Could somebody check if the game works for him/her and check with me if I have all the files etc? :sos:
Otherwise, I think I'll give up, that's the best solution...

_r.u.s.s.
24-08-2006, 09:25 AM
l
l
l+DAT [194 files in folder; 1,63MB total]
l+DEC [10 files in folder; 496kB total]
l+KMD [22 files in folder; 537kB total]
l+PIC [43 files in folder; 1,39MB total]
l+SND [32 files in folder; 150kB total]
l+SPR [23 files in folder; 916kB total]
l
l-FURY.EXE [566kB]
l-GO.BAT [144B]
l-INTRO.DAT [1,28MB]
l-INTRO.EXE [50,6kB]
l-LANG.DAT [26,7kB]
l-LANG.EXE [51,1kB]
l-LEA.ME [1,12kB]
l-LEGGI.MI [1,1kB]
l-LIESMICH [1,1kB]
l-LISEZ.MOI [1,1kB]
l-READ.ME [1,6kB]

all the files and folders are NOT read only. btw some games use their old files to write data and some not, so its not always same

Lili Hardin
24-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok, I understand I have not the same files... I have 0 PIC files, 0 SND, but I have some "sample" files (IFF), lots of LBM files and BIN image... I have the all the "read me" files; and my GO file is just 1Ko (I don't know the difference with Kb...). I tried to download the game again and again, but I always have the same files! Someone's got an idea?

_r.u.s.s.
24-08-2006, 10:03 AM
http://rapidshare.de/files/30565941/fury.exe.html

Lili Hardin
24-08-2006, 10:49 AM
THANKS THANKS THANKS! It works!
I just my files, and I didn't have the CDATA nor the SDATA... You should check if they are in the gme to download on the site...