PDA

View Full Version : Starcontrol 1

Elon Yariv
07-08-2006, 05:19 PM
While playing with my brother we were sometimes unable to move. The game was overloaded and ignored us because we pushed too many buttons at the same time. Is there anyway to fix this? :sos:

Eagle of Fire
08-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Nope. This is keyboard related, not software related.

The only fix is trial and errors: try to change the key settings until you find a good mix which doesn't make the computer "beep" when you hit too many buttons at the same time.

I today games, this is fixed by having one or more joysticks pluged in your system. The same limitation than before apply but if only one player use the keyboard then the risk of this happening basically drop to zero.

guesst
08-08-2006, 01:37 AM
StarCon1 (and 2 I think) had a utility for customizing the keys and included a key jamming option where you'd experiment with finding keys that wouldn't conflict.

To my knowledge an optimal configuration has never been found. Part of the complication is that every keyboard is different, but even then we eventually had to just live with the fact that once in a while you were going to lose because your controls jammed.

The other option is that DOSBox routes your joystick in.

Elon Yariv
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I wish I had a joystick then, then I could play properly, and player the choas engine with two players.
Thanks for the info anyway, I'll try changing the Hierarchy's controls, because the Ins seems to be jaming the letter keys.

guesst
08-08-2006, 05:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elon Yariv @ Aug 8 2006, 02:02 PM) 247342</div>
I wish I had a joystick then, then I could play properly, and player the choas engine with two players.
Thanks for the info anyway, I'll try changing the Hierarchy's controls, because the Ins seems to be jaming the letter keys.
[/b]

If I were you I'd get an X-Box controller (or two) and re-solder the connectors to plug it into your USB port. All the buttons you could ever want.

Eagle of Fire
08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
There is actually a few models which are about any kind of console look-alike, and they are already made for PC... I don't really see the point in taking the trouble to mess around with cables when you can buy those easily about anywhere...

guesst
09-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, my experience with made-for-PC joypads are that they are less well made, eventually require cracking open to do some small repair, and don't have the buttons I want and need. The XBox controller on the other hand has a 4 or 6 button configuration, depending on how you lay it out which makes for fantasitc emulations, a start and select button, as well as the standard shoulder buttons. It's brilliant, well made, and designed to take abuse.

My next project is to see if I can make a wireless one work.

Cloudy
12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Aug 9 2006, 03:08 PM) 247568</div>
Well, my experience with made-for-PC joypads are that they are less well made, eventually require cracking open to do some small repair, and don't have the buttons I want and need. The XBox controller on the other hand has a 4 or 6 button configuration, depending on how you lay it out which makes for fantasitc emulations, a start and select button, as well as the standard shoulder buttons. It's brilliant, well made, and designed to take abuse.

My next project is to see if I can make a wireless one work.
[/b]

On the subject of joysticks/gamepads, I used to have a Gravis Gamepad, which was about the best you could get on the pc. Right now though if I ever need to use one, I have a usb adapter that lets me plug my Playstation 2 controler into my PC. So I just use that.